Rafi for Dilip Kumar
This article is written by Mr. D.P.Bijoor
Today when I look behind I remember those beautiful child-hood days and my mind suddenly flickers down the memory lane and slowly takes me some where around the year period 1965-1966. Those were the first impressions of my child-hood days where I tried to understand & know a little of myself & the small world around me.
The first film which I clearly remember in that period which I sat & saw was “Ram aur Shyam” and the beautiful song “Aaj kee raat mere dil kee salami le le” with the greatest Dilip Kumar on the piano and the greatest Mohammed Rafi singing for him.
What an immaculate impression that was which helped create in me the greatest ever combination of Yusuf – Rafi – Naushad & Shakeel. Today these 4 personalities have become a part of my entire stream never to erase and never to wash out.
The day I or any one for the matter of fact forgets this combination the music world of the Universe will automatically freeze is my personal belief
Though I am very much fond of writing to have initially started by virtue of publishing my various letters & comments in a couple of the newspapers and presently having regular correspondence with my existing employment I for one still finds it extremely difficult to pen down my thoughts and expressions in the everlasting and loving memory of Mohammed Rafi Saab. This probably happens mainly on account of ones deep love and respect for the personality on whom he OR she writes, and this experience I have always experienced.
Mohammed Rafi and Dilip Kumar have always fascinated me mainly on account of ones greatest voice therapy and the other for his greatest acting abilities & achievements. Â
These towering personalities have equally shared innumerable songs sung by Mohammed Rafi on the lips of Dilip Kumar.Â Rafi Saab has sung almost 99.99% of the songs for this acting supremo under the musical supervision of the greatest Naushad Saab which in-turn would be a unique record in the annals of the Hindi Film Industry. The other record being Mukesh singing for Raj Kapoor under the music supervision of Shankar Jaikishan
Today I would try and make an effort to search for the songs sung by Rafi Saab for Dilip Kumar under the music supervision of other music directors.
The first category is where the MDs though have scored music for Dilip Kumar starer films but where Rafi Saab was not the singer
- C Ramchandra: Had scored music for the film Aazad where he himself had sung for the thespian and the song being “Kitna hassen hai mausam kitna haseen safar hai saathi bhee khubsoorat yeh mausam ko bhee khabar hai” with Lata Mangeshkar
- Shankar-Jaikishan: Had scored music for the films Daag and Yahudi. In Daag almost all the songs were sung by Talat Mahmood and in Yahudi the song “Ye mera diwana pan hai ya muhobbat ka kasoor was rendered by Mukesh for Dilip Kumar. However this film had a song rendered by Rafi Saab “Ye duniya ye duniya – shaitano kee baste hai yahan zindagee sasthee hai”but was picturized on a character artiste
- S D Burman: Had scored music for the films Devdas and Sagina Mahato but no songs were sung by Rafi Saab
The other films categorically were Mashall, Shakti which did not have songs of Rafi Saab.Â
The second category is where other MDs have scored the music for Dilip Kumar films and Rafi Saab has rendered the songs.
- Kalyanji-Anandji: Has scored music for the films Bairaag and Gopi. Remember the beautiful rendition “Sukh Ke sab saathee dukh mein na koyee”
- O P Nayyar: Has scored music for the film Naya Daur in which a couple of the duets with Asha Bhosale were “Maang ke saath tumhara maine maang liya sansar” and “Tujhe chand ke bahane dekhoon tu chat par aaja goriye”Â
- Laxmikant-Pyarelal: Has scored music for Dastaan in which a couple of songs were rendered by Rafi Saab