Some Rare Diamonds Of Rafi Saab–9
(Mohammed Rafi with Khayyam)
Written by Venkatadri Brahmandam (venkat from HF)
Khayyam is a fine music director who created his own niche in HFM. But, he had to be among those highly talented, but not-so-fortunate, music directors. The main reason is, of course, lack of big banner films in his fold!
Khayyam actually started music direction in late forties under the name of “Sharma Ji”. Probably, only after mid-fifties did he revert back to his own original name.
Once in 1961, after Shola Aur Shabnam, Khayyam was seriously contemplating a total change in his style of music hoping that it would lead to greater success. But, in Khayyam’s own words on Vividhbharati, he was once passing by S.D.Burman who then advised him not to change his own natural style at any cost!
With Rafi Saab, whatever small quantity of songs he made were of very good quality. In fact, Khayyam made almost as many non-filmi songs with Rafi Saab as filmi songs. Even his non-fimi songs with Rafi Saab were of great quality and fairly successful too!
Khayyam once narrated the following on Vividhbahrati. During mid-sixties, Rafi Saab’s national and international musical shows/nites used to be a rage. Rafi Saab used to do these shows with very successful music directors of that time and mostly with Shankar Jaikishan. So, Khayyam too approached Rafi Saab once for doing one such show with him. But, Rafi Saaab, after consulting his brother-in-law, had politely told Khayyam something to this effect. “Khayyam Saab, Aap Aur Bhi Zara Stabilize Ho Jaayiye Aur Us Ke Baad Show Karne Se Achha Hoga!”. Khayyam was upset and peeved with Rafi Saab for a long time on account of this.
Today, let us discuss only Khayyam’s filmi songs with Rafi Saab.
Khayyam has made 12 to14 solos, 12 duets and 2 group songs with Rafi Saab, in all.
Here is the list of solos:
1.1949–Parda—Ek Dil Ne Kaha, Ek Dil Ne Suna, Ek Dard Bhara Afsana
2. 1950–Biwi—Akele Mein Woh Ghabrate To Honge
3. 1958–Lala Rukh—Hai Kali Kali Ke Lab Par, Tere Husn Ka Fasana
4. 1958—Phir Subah Hogi—Sab Ki Ho Khair Baba, Sab Ka Bhala
5. 1960—Barood—Chala Chal Chala Chal Gar Hai Andhera
6. 1961–Shola Aur Shabnam–Jaane Kya Dhoondti Rehti Hain Yeh Aankhe
7. 1964—Shagun—Yeh Raat Bahut Rangeen Sahi
8. 1964–Shagun—Tum Chali Jaavogi, Parchhayiyan Reh Jaayengi
9. 1965–Mohabbat Is Ko Kehte Hain—Meri Nighah Ne Kya Kaam Lajawab Kiya
10. 1966–Aakhri Khat—Aur Kuch Der Thahar, Aur Kuch Der Na Jaa
11. 1977–Shankar Hussain—Kahin Ek Masoom Nazukh Si Ladki
12. 1979–Chambal Ki Kasam–Sher Ka Husn Ho, Naghme Ki Jawaani Ho Tum
And here is the list of duets:
With Lata Mangeshkar:
1. 1960—Barood—Aise Na Muh Chupavo, Mar Jaayenge Yahin Ham
2. 1960–Barood—Teri Aankhon Ka Rang Nirala Hai
3. 1960–Bombay Ki Billi–Zalim Teri Ada Mere Dil Mein Utar Gayi (Doubtful entry, as it is claimed to be the prelude to the ‘Aise Na Muh Chupavo’ song listed above!!!!!!!)
4. 1961—Shola Aur Shabnam—Phool Ko Dhoonde Pyasa Bhanwara—Jeet Hi Lenge Baazi Ham Tum
5. 1980–Chmabal Ki Qasam—Simti Huyi Yeh Ghadiyan, Phir Na Bikhar Jaayen
With Asha Bhosle
1. 1955—Tatar Ka Chor—Dekho Zara Ulfat Ka Asar, Shamo Sahar Dhoonde Nazar
With Jagjeet Kaur:
1. 1961–Shola Aur Shabnam—Pahle To Aankh Milaana, Phir Thoda Sa Sharmaana
2. 1961–Shola Aur Shabnam—Kaun Aata Hai Idhar, Koyi Nahin, Koyi Nahin
3. 1967–Mera Bhai Mera Dushman–Nain Milaake Pyaar Jataake
With Suman Kalyanpur:
1. 1964–Shagun–Parbaton Ke Pedon Par Sham Ka Basera Hai
2. 1965–Mohabbat Is Ko Kehte Hain—Thahariye Hosh Mein Laun, To Chale Jayiyega
1. 1958—Phir Subah Hogi—Arre Phirte Thhe Jo Bade Hi–Jis Pyaar Mein Yeh Haal Hai
And finally, here is the list of 2 group songs:
1. 1960–Barood—Likho Padhoge, To Aage Badhoge, Sitaron Se Ooncha Tumhara Hoga Naam–Lata, Rafi, Sheikh Mukthar, Honey Irani
2. 1961–Shola Aur Shabnam–Agar Dil Dil Se Takraaye To Afsaana Bata Daale—Rafi, Manna Dey, Jagjeet Kaur
Today, for our listening pleasure, I have chosen four songs, two rare and nice solos and two rare and nice duets.
The first rare and nice solo is from Film:Biwi (1950). “Akele Mein Woh Ghabrate To Honge, Mitake Mujh Ko Pachtate To Honge”. A great song for the connoisseurs of Rafi Saab of the fifties!!! Lyrics are by Vali Sahab.
The second rare and nice solo of today is from Film: Mohabbat Is Ko Kehte Hain (1965). “Meri Nigaah Ne Kya Kaam Lajawab Kiya”. Lyrics are by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
Incidentally, the Rafi- Suman duet from this same film, “Thahariye Hosh Mein Aa Lun, To Chale Jayiyega” has become very very popular, while this solo remained rare.
This solo was sung in soft ghazal style so beautifully by Rafi Saab!
The first rare and nice duet for today is from Film: Barood (1960). It was sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Rafi Saab. “Teri Aankhon Ka Rang Nirala Hai, Meri Aankhon Mein Tu Matwala Hai” Lyrics are by Hasrat Jaipuri.
An excellent tune in typical Khayyam gharana!!!
The second rare and nice duet is from Film: Tatar Ka Chor (1955) and was sung by Rafi and Asha. “Dekho Zara Ulfat Ka Asar, Shamo Sahar Dhoonde Nazar” Lyricist is Prem Dhawan. A very nice tune and rendition.
As always, I would urge you to listen to each song twice for proper appreciation. Shall be grateful for your comments.
This is the 9th piece in the audio series of “Some Rare Diamonds Of Rafi Saab”. The previous eight entries too are available in the archives for your access.